Deer are unquestionably the number one threat to nearly all wild-land, and today, many urban tree plantings. When you're planting in "deer country" SunFlex is the only hope a young seedling has. White-tailed deer, with an average height of 36-40 inches at the shoulder plus its neck length, can easily browse nearly any unprotected tree below a height of about 52-inches (4.5ft) tall. That's why our "Deer Stopper" Grow Tubes start at 59-inches go up from there.
Trying to grow unprotected hardwood seedlings or those in a grow tubes (or tree-shelter or tree tube) below a 4.5ft height is usually futile. Unprotected seedlings stand no chance against hungry mouths - see image on right showing the all-too-familiar fate of an unprotected seedling. Even shorter tube shelters less than 4½ ft tall are of little use as they expose the emerging tree right at, or close to the feeding level for all North American deer. Once deer munch the top a tree's natural form is irreparably harmed. The tree usually responds by robbing its root system to replace lost growth in an often futile effort to grow past the deer. And if deer don't get your young seedlings, there's a good chance that the rabbits will.
The before and after images below show how easy it is for deer to browse seedlings that emerge from the top of shorter tubes (35-in tube shown below). The lesson here is don't waste money trying to save money on tubes too short for the animal threat in your area. Instead, choose a grow tube tall enough to get the job done right the first time you plant. Choose the Jump SunFlex Doe Shield (59 inches tall) or SunFlex Buck Shield (71 inches tall) to get your trees growing safely above the browse-line!
Before & After - Night-time raid by whitetail deer on 35-in tube caught on trail cam
demonstrates need for taller (59-in or 71-in) grow tube shelters in deer country.
Jump Start gets your deciduous (broad-leaf) seedlings/shrubs growing fast beyond old tech tree tubes and tree-shelters to deliver in the toughest conditions where animals and elements can kill your seedlings before they ever have a chance to get started.
Whether you're planting hardwood seedlings for wildlife habitat, riparian buffers, woody food plots, wind breaks or to make your backyard more wild, Jump Start helps your seedlings survive, thrive and succeed, the first time, every time. Choose Jump Start to get your seedlings on the fast track and get growing today!
Note: The only way to grow the best tree is to grow the whole tree and that includes the main stem and roots. Plantra's Trunk-Builder™ Stake is the only "purpose-built" grow tube support stake engineered with trunk-building flexibility and strength to grow bigger, healthy stems and roots. These support stakes are sold as part of the Jump Start Seedling System.
CLICK HERE To Buy Jump Start Grow Tubes & Support Stakes Together And Save!
Superior plant growth is packed in every Jump Start "Greenhouse Grow Tube" engineered to optimize the Big 4 - Sunlight, CO2, Moisture & Temperature
- Jump Start is designed for a wide range sunlight conditions which receive a minimum of 6 hours of uninterrupted sunlight per day during the growing season.
- Unlike traditional tree tubes and tree shelters Jump Start Grow Tubes are twin-walled for light diffusion and translucent to growth-optimizing sunlight trees and shrubs need.Jump Start is packed with advanced greenhouse technology to stimulate phytochrome to grow the whole plant from roots to shoots necessary to get your new seedlings off and running with the sun.
Rigid, twin-walled construction protects against the wind, wildlife & weeds that can kill young seedlings:
- Jump Start Grow Tubes provide a physical barrier to shelter seedlings against chewing and browsing voles, mice and rabbits that can destroy a entire planting season in a few bites.
- Wind is a seedling killer and while wildlife gets it fair share of the blame for damage to new plantings, wind's invisible force rarely does. Built rugged and sturdy, Jump Start creates a greenhouse micro-climate that blocks wind which can dry out tender leaves. This reduces water stress on the leaves, stems and roots and allows the plant to channel its energy into faster, sustained growth instead of defending itself against desiccating winds.
- Jump Start helps you control weeds that steal soil nutrients, moisture, and sunlight from young seedlings by making it easy to see exactly where your seedlings are when using mowers and string trimmers. Solid wall construction acts as a spray shield for weed sprays making weed control fast and safe (always follow chemical label directions when applying weed sprays).
Ready for the Field:
- Jump Start ships flat, pops open to a large, leaf expanding 3.9 inch diameter, and installs quickly and easily with super-strong, releasable Plantra Twist Lock Soft Wire Ties (included).
Jump Start's cutting edge design and unmatched utility is where plant growth, field performance, and ease of use come together to create the most effective seedling establishment system available. Make Jump Start the choice for your next hardwood tree planting. In the seasons to come you'll be glad you did.
- Large tie holes come standard on all Jump Start Grow Tubes to accommodate the widest range of staking options. The most secure method is the Jump Start Grow Tube System which incorporates our Trunk-Builder fiberglass stake into the strongest stake and tube attachment system available. To purchase Jump Start as part of the Jump Start Tube System CLICK HERE.